So after quite some time off from any type of auditions in the real world, I have finally auditioned for a small local opera company. A friend from BYU that I ran into after a performance of "A Christmas Carol" told me about the opera company that she helped spearhead and was on the board for. She also she, "Hey, you should audition." Well, in spite of the fact that my due date is one month prior to the performance dates, I auditioned. It was a very last minute thing, and looking back I was so unprepared. I hope I didn't tarnish this friends good name!
So I waltz into the hall with the two, minimally contrasting arias that I still had memorized, looking rather pregnant, and sang well enough. I know I messed some things up, but, like any good singer, I tried to make it look like I meant to do that. Riiiiight. It seems like singing is so much easier with the music in your face, and when your voice teacher is standing there in the room helping you--what are the odds!
I thought when they asked for my resume that they were impressed, however, when I looked at the e-mail I'd received earlier that day I read the part that said to bring one ANYWAY. OOPS! So many lessons learned in this whole experience:
1) have two contrasting arias memorized and ready to go at all times if you are even remotely considering auditioning.
2) read important e-mails carefully if you want to look reliable and credible.
3) review what the text means BEFORE singing the aria. This holds truest if it's been over a year (or four) since singing it before some kind of audience, but only if you want to have your gestures mean something and incorporate anything you've ever learned about performing well.
4) try to remember the names of your song, especially when you're announcing them to your auditioners.
5) if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't open your mouth. For some reason this one is difficult for me, however, I am aware of others with this vice, too. (I'm not alone!
6) update your resume when you feel prompted to do so. I'd had the thought to update it about two months ago, even the night before I'd gotten an audition time. That would have saved me A LOT of embarrassment, and made me look SO good. *sigh*
7) don't send your measly resume off before putting everything on there. I'm STILL thinking of things that I should have put on there or done differently. Again: *sigh*
Yeah, so I went home and updated my crappy resume and sent that and my four year old headshot off to the auditioner with only the hope of gaining something from this whole experience. If I get a role, I'll count myself lucky. And crazy. What am I thinking auditioning for something a month after I'm due! Oh, but if I do it will be so much fun! I can't help myself I guess: I love to perform! Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment