Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Such a JOY!
So, I've been doing some rearranging of my thought patterns to make them more realistic, yet optimistic. I've been noticing my unrealistic expectations from my little ones, and it REALLY hit home as I prepared for this next weeks Joy School unit on Individual Confidence and Uniqueness. My oldest has OBVIOUSLY been lacking in confidence as evidenced by his melting down when things don't work out with even the simplest of things. I've realized this and have been trying to give him tools to deal with these situations, but when I was reading about this story from the Joy School unit, I realized it had a LOT more to do with my parenting. I was quite humbled as I read this story of how one child of several frustrated four year olds understood that mistakes are okay when you're learning. There's a lot more to this moment, but it has to be said that I am enJOYing my kids more and fostering their learning instead of hindering it by setting too high of an expectation for them. There. I said it. All is right with the world. The End.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe everyone in the group is clapping for you! I know I am! lol
Finding the happy medium is great for life but very tough to achieve/find.
Wow, I might need to read that lesson too, Stew has been having the same trouble lately. I just thought it was because of Joe's deployment
Post a Comment