Monday, June 30, 2008

How we spent our summer vacation Days 1, 2 &3

DAY 1:

Well, folks, we finally closed a fond chapter in our lives at Kansas City, MO on May 23. We left late in the evening, but with the help of our dear friends and neighbors (Smith’s, Baker’s, Machen’s, Boger’s, Kau’s, Pope’s, Livingston’s, Cooper’s and many others that I might not even realize helped us) we made it on the road that very night. We didn’t make it very far though. I got something in my contact lens and scratched my eyeball so we pulled over and stopped for the night in St. Joseph not 30 minutes from our former home. I know, I’m a complete wimp.



DAYS 2 & 3:

Buuuuut, the next day (our sixth wedding anniversary) we made some good time. By the end of the day, we made it far enough to visit a Prehistoric Indian Museum—which was closed on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, oddly enough—but Kai had a fun time throwing stones into the neighboring lake. Not long after that we took the scenic route through Badlands National Park, and saw some fantastic views as the sun set in the horizon! The pictures don’t do it any justice!










We made it to the Rapid City area just outside where Mt. Rushmore is located late that day, and made it to church the next day. Then we headed to find a campsite for our next night’s stay. We set up camp at a site called Horsethief Lake. We were able to see the amazing Mt. Rushmore. We got in for free since we didn’t use their fancy-shmancy parking lot. Tee hee.






2 comments:

Holly said...

June 30th---see that folks? That's when I started working on it. So at least I tried, right? Well, here's the first installment. I hope you like it.~Holsy

The Wehrmeister's said...

Beautiful Family! Mt. Rushmore looks beautiful. I'm quite jealous.