Wednesday, January 28, 2009

So smart

Varick's so smart.

So smart, that we allowed him to develop the bad habit of coming into wake us up in the middle of the night in only a few short days without us realizing what he's up to.

Yes, now that he can finally turn these particular doornobs in our place a whole new world has opened up to him.

About a week ago--no, we're looking at two weeks ago now--he had a couple of bad nights of sleep. I thought it was just the hot cocoa we had after family night, a little too close to bed time. Then maybe he'd had a bad dream... Then I needed to get him to bed at a more regular time, since I'd been lazy about that the preceeding nights. Then... well, you get the idea.

So I read up on it (Thank you "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child") and we decided (meaning I decided then let Jasper know what I was up to) to start taking away his two favorite stuffed animals then silently putting him back to bed once those were gone, for every time he popped out of bed.

The first night, he wasn't a fan, but he got the idea after the he got Fishey, pronounced "Wishey" back. He actually GAVE me both his bear and fish, so I gave it back to him, so he'd really get the idea.

The second night? Not a problem. I thought my child was a genius, and that he was "cured."

The third night? Dad was home at bedtime, so it started all over again, only this time seeing if DAD could be consistent. Sucks to be the child of united parents, doesn't it?

The fourth night? A little rough. Much like night number one, only he didn't get "Wishey" back. He knew the drill by now.

Then my personal favorite was last night:

He was hollering something to do with his fish to me as I lovingly closed the door on him. And a few minutes later, he opens the door and is standing in the hallway muttering the same thing, looking a little hesitant. He knows what has to happen next.

I think he wanted me to re-tuck in fishey with him. Well, since fish is the favorite over bear, he's the first one to go, and Varick knew this. So as I'm walking back to his bed with him, he darts ahead to grab his bear and says "hereyougo" in fluent toddlerese as he hands over the necessary sacrifice to ensure "Wishey" is properly tucked back in with him. I thought I'd done it right the first time, but apperently the second time was a charm that night. It took all my strength to do this all silently as by the time he handed me the bear I'm totally DYING on the inside!

Jasper and I had a good laugh about that one. And you know what? I tucked bear and fish into bed with that boy tonight, and made sure all was in order, and that boy is STILL in his bed.






... Now to get him to stay in bed until at LEAST 7 AM. Neeeeeeext.

2 comments:

Smileyhappychan said...

I love that book! It seriously saved my sanity! Good luck with the bed battle. I think we've finally mastered it...until the next one comes!

Melissa said...

Super Momma! You rock, lady. <3